This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Here's how to cook asparagus in the air fryer perfectly tender and crispy in minutes with minimal oil. Try it with Parmesan and other seasonings!
Why you'll love air fryer asparagus
- Easy recipe for any air fryer cooking level.
- Convenient 5-minute prep with 10-minute cook time.
- This recipe uses minimal oil.
- Accommodates most restricted diets.
- Endless flavoring ideas – Parmesan is a favorite!
- It's a versatile side dish, snack, or add-in.
- Crispy asparagus delivers nutrients in a delicious and satisfying way.
- The air fryer makes asparagus downright irresistible!
You'll find the ingredient amounts in the printable recipe card below.
- fresh asparagus - Use any size asparagus spears with this air fryer recipe.
- olive oil - Use other oils such as coconut oil, avocado oil, or cooking oil sprays.
- salt and pepper - These seasonings can be added as desired.
- (optional) grated Parmesan – A light sprinkle can make this dish even more irresistible.
- (optional) fresh parsley garnish – This adds a layer of texture and flavor.
How to make asparagus in the air fryer
This recipe is simple, but knowing how long to cook asparagus in the air fryer is crucial to achieve perfectly tender spears with crispy edges. Enjoy these step-by-step photos and get the full recipe below.
Step 1. Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2. Prep the asparagus by removing woody-textured ends, if needed. Coat asparagus with oil. Note: I prefer to roll asparagus in oil on a baking pan to reduce waste and achieve the lightest oil coating.
Step 3. Arrange asparagus in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook 5-7 minutes for medium-sized stalks, or as needed to reach a tender crisp texture. At your discretion, decrease cook time for thinner stalks and increase cook time for thicker stalks.
Step 4. Transfer asparagus out of the air fryer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add toppings such as grated Parmesan and chopped parsley, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
- Oil is a necessity to make asparagus in the air fryer crispy because it helps brown the surface. It also prevents the asparagus from drying out.
- Don't overcrowd your air fryer basket because the circulating high heat is what makes asparagus cook so efficiently inside your air fryer.
- A half pound of medium-sized asparagus spears fit with no overlap in this pod-style air fryer basket. See photos in the above section for reference.
- Depending on your air fryer model, you may find it helpful to shake the air fryer basket halfway through the cook cycle to promote even browning.
- Asparagus can be seasoned before air frying, but diet-restricted eaters will likely appreciate the DIY aproach after the asparagus is cooked.
- Add flavor with other seasonings, such as garlic, Cajun seasoning, or Italian seasoning.
- A squeeze of fresh lemon adds a bright, citrus-y flavor to this dish.
- Add a spicy kick with a drizzle of chili crisp oil and enjoy as a snack.
Storage and reheat
Allow asparagus to cool completely and refrigerate up to 5 days in an airtight container. Enjoy chilled, or briefly reheat asparagus in the air fryer on 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through.
Tender-crisp asparagus is the perfect side dish with oven-broiled salmon, baked chicken, a deliciously seared NY strip steak, the perfect pork chop, or baked pasta. It's equally delicious for breakfast alongside air fryer eggs or as an ingredient for asparagus egg casserole.
Favorite air fryer recipes
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
Air Fryer Asparagus (with Parmesan option)
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails from The Kitchen Girl.
- ½ pound Asparagus Spears any size
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil or preferred oil
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan to taste
- 5.8 quart basket air fryer (Cosori XL) or other air fryer
- baking sheet or mixing bowl to prep asparagus with oil
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prep the asparagus by removing woody-textured ends, if needed.
- Coat ASPARAGUS with OIL.Note: I prefer to roll asparagus in oil on a baking pan to reduce waste and achieve the lightest oil coating.
- Arrange asparagus in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook 5-7 minutes for medium-sized stalks, or as needed to reach a tender crisp texture. Note: At your discretion, decrease the cook time for thinner stalks and increase cook time for thicker stalks.
- Season with SALT, PEPPER, and optional PARMESAN CHEESE. Serve and enjoy!
- To store, allow asparagus to cool completely and refrigerate in an airtight container up to five days.
Click stars to vote. Please visit 'Comments' below for reviews.