Check out my new favorite weeknight dinner in 30 minutes! Skinnyish Chicken Broccoli Rice is stove cooked in one pot, using rotisserie chicken breast, fresh broccoli, white rice, and a few everyday ingredients. My people, healthy meals don’t get any easier than this!
Skinnyish Chicken Broccoli Rice
There are a million Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice recipes on the internet, amiright? Praise be the cheese gods…but you guys know I’m always tryna cut corners without compromising flavah.
Guess what…I did it with this number! The reason I know?…mister TKG not only wanted to polish off the entire skillet, but he still gives big props when I mention it. And I’m all like…why I didn’t come up with it sooner?!?!
How is this meal skinnyish?
This dish is the cousin to Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice…without the cheese. That’s the main reason I call it that. But I also leave the milk fat-content up to you. You can use whole milk, nonfat milk, or anything in between.
To be honest, I wasn’t sure how to name this recipe. Coulda called it “healthy”, but that’s debatable depending on who you talk to. Coulda called it “one-pot” or “one-skillet”, but that doesn’t tell you it leans towards healthy, compared to its cheesy cousin. So, we landed on skinny-ish. That’s probably still debatable depending on one’s diet. But to me, anytime you can leave the cheese behind on a traditionally cheesy dish…and it still rocks. The name’s well-deserved.
Here are the easy steps to make this dish:
- sauté the onions and garlic
- add the rice and let it cook a bit
- add rotisserie chicken, broccoli, and seasonings
- continue warming
- squeeze lemon over surface
So, do you need this 30-minute meal in your busy, weeknight rotation? The answer is always yes! Even if you have your favorites all lined up, you’ll want to add this number to the pack. It’s just…it’s just…soooo darn good! It’s creamy, yet light. Fills you up, yet doesn’t weigh you down. You feelin’ this?
The ingredient lineup:
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- white long grain rice (uncooked)
- milk (fat content your choice)
- chicken broth
- black pepper
- rotisserie chicken breast (or any cooked chicken)
- fresh parsley
Kitchen tools I use for this recipe:
- chef knife
- cutting board (to chop onions)
- Microplane fine grater (to grate garlic)
- colander (to rinse/drain rice)
- 5 quart nonstick skillet with lid
- silicone spatula or wooden spoon
For more healthy, skillet chicken recipes, check out Easy Chicken Spinach Mushroom Skillet or Sun-Dried Tomato Vodka Chicken. Both recipes come together in about 30 minutes, and promise to bring a ton of flavor to your dinner table!
* Note: This post has affiliate links, which means…when you click and buy products, I get a small commission…at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting The Kitchen Girl…please send any product questions my way!
Skinnyish Chicken Broccoli Rice was originally published on Amanda’s Cookin’ blog in April 2017.
Latest posts by Traci (see all)
- Strawberry Spring Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette - 06/25/2017
- Grammie’s Tomato Bread - 06/15/2017
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Tomato Salad - 06/07/2017