Calling all healthy dip lovers! Did you know you could knock down the amount of fat in hummus, but still keep it creamy and dreamy like your favorite homemade or store-bought hummus? Well, after some dedicated testing, I’ve nailed my go-to recipe for Skinny Hummus with Zero Tahini. Costs under $2.00 to make too…bonus!
Skinny Hummus With Zero Tahini
This alternative to store-bought hummus is super easy to make ANY season of the year. Allow me to share my favorite things about this one:
- The zero-tahini thing reduces the fat and calories, making it a healthier choice for me, being the hummus-junkie that I am.
- When you make you’re own, you’re in control of ingredients…so no added, unnecessary preservatives, sweeteners, or additives you might find in the store-bought kind.
- It’s vegan and gluten-free…not surprising, but always a bonus.
- Uses only 1 tablespoon Olive Oil (no more dumping expensive oil into your hummus!).
- Costs under $2.00 to make – 99¢ can of chick peas, a 50¢ lemon, a touch of olive oil, and seasonings. Store-bought hummus is easily $3.49-4.99 for 8 oz container. Even if it had tahini, it would only add about 50¢ to the cost.
Here are the ingredients you’ll want on hand for Skinny Hummus With Zero Tahini:
- Can of Chickpeas (keep the juice…it’s wearing the tahini hat)
- Olive Oil
- Garlic clove
- (optional) Black Pepper
Tools I use for this recipe:
- Food processor (I use the Ninja 1500) or blender (I use NutriBullet 900 Pro)
- Microplane fine zester/grater
What’s also great about this recipe is that it only takes 10 minutes to make and is ready to eat asap! I just toss the ingredients into the blender/food processor all at once, pulse it few times, scrape the sides down, and let it rip on a higher speed about a minute…until it reaches my ideal, dreamy consistency.
I used to think a hummus without tahini would be an earth-shattering disruption. But honestly, the real magic is in the texture you get from a high-powered blender such as the Ninja or NutriBullet. Ends up pretty perfect, actually.
This recipe is an all occasion one…great for lunchbox, summer picnic, BBQ, veggie platters, sandwich throw-down, tv sports event…you name it! Lastly, kids who love hummus will love this one!
Cheers to making healthy easier…and more affordable. My job is complete today!
For more recipes on the lighter side, check these out:
About my recipes: MORE plant, LESS animal...that's my jam.