I’m dedicating this recipe to my dad, who convinced me to publish the idea to the blog a while back. He’s quite the raving fan of marinated mushrooms…and of me…and the feeling is completely mutual 🙂 So, in honor of Father’s Day…and awesome dad’s…here’s my recipe for Marinated Baby Bellas.
Marinated Baby Bellas
It occurs to me that any other food blogger might dedicate ribs, or steak, or bacon-y things to their dad on his special day. But, my dad talks about marinated mushrooms as much as he talks about those dude-foods. And he guarantees they’re a hit! Well, I love Baby Bellas…and I love my dad. So, what’s a daughter to do but take his advice, write a recipe inspired by him, and dedicate it to him.
Here’s how my dad makes his marinated mushrooms for 15-20 people:
- buy a 10 lb box of mushrooms…yep, that’s 10 pounds!
- chop to make ’em bite-sized (or leave whole if small enough)
- place them in a giant pan (dad uses a 6″ deep steam table pan)
- pour 2-16oz bottles of Italian dressing over the mushrooms; it’s ok if they’re not submerged…they will be when the process is done!
- give ’em a good stir; cover; place in a fridge (big enough to hold that pan)
- allow to marinate for 3-4 days (NOTE: stir and taste-test every day)
- try not to eat them all before it’s party time!
Here’s how I make my marinated mushrooms for 4-5 people:
Of course, being TKG, I have to go and complicate the process by making the Italian dressing, but guys, you know how much I love making stuff! In a pinch though, I wouldn’t hesitate to use a store-bought Italian dressing. There are some great ones out there!
Anyway, for this recipe, I created a super-easy recipe for Italian dressing [see recipe below] that you can use…or get the store-bought stuff…totally up to you.
Want another perfect, summer, Portobello mushroom recipe? Check out my Marinated Grilled Portobello Mushroom Mini Steaks…yum! Also, go grab my Black Bean And Corn Salad and my Guiltless French Onion Dip. You won’t go wrong!
One thing you should know about Marinated Baby Bellas…they’re the perfect, chilled condiment or appetizer for any party or picnic. And, they won’t last long due to the delish-factor. My dad tells me he has a hard time not gobbling them down before he even leaves the house with them. And he swears you have to taste-test them every day during the marinating process.
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- baby Portobello mushrooms
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- garlic cloves
- Dijon mustard
- dried onion flakes
- Italian seasoning
- crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
Tools you’ll find handy for this recipe:
- mason jar with lid to make the dressing
- cutting board to chop mushrooms
- chef knife to chop mushrooms
- 4-quart storage container to store the mushrooms
If you make this recipe, hit me up on the Insta. Tag @thekitchengirl #tkgrecipe…and make my day! Cheers to you Dad…and always to our health!