Stroganoff is all about the sauce, baby! Here’s a light-style recipe where I substitute the heaviest ingredient without compromising the flavor and texture. Go ahead, grab this 30 minute recipe for Lightened Up Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff [GF].
Lightened Up Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff [GF]
If you’ve never made a stroganoff from scratch, never fear. This recipe will have you up and running in no time, and you only dirty up one skillet and one sauce pot for it.
This stroganoff is creamy, but it’s not loaded with cream. In fact, I use 1% milk and a concentrated vegetable base. This is seriously one of my favorite kitchen staples. Packaged broth takes up too much space, but this vegetable base stores easily and I only make the exact amount I need. And by make, I mean add base to water and stir. That’s it!
A vegetarian stroganoff sauce that’s gluten free too?
Yup, dreams really do come true! Of course you’ll use your favorite gluten free pasta, but for the sauce, I use garbanzo bean flour (aka chickpea flour) in place of all-purpose flour (you know, as a thickener)…and it just plain rocks. I do find that I need to add more garbanzo flour than the usual ratio for a roux [this is reflected in the recipe].
Here are the steps to get Lightened Up Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff from one-to-done:
- cook your favorite pasta noodles
- melt butter and oil together
- sauté shallot, garlic, and mushrooms
- add flour
- add liquids
- heat and stir until creamy
- add salt and pepper
- serve over pasta
That’s it! Of course, it’s more detailed in the actual recipe below, but you get the picture…and hopefully you’re inspired to try this one.
If you think that looks good, try it with truffle oil!
This Napa Valley Truffle Infused Oil Blend takes any meal to another level! This is not a sponsored post, but I am giving you an affiliate link in case you want your own bottle.
Want the vegan version of this stroganoff sauce (that will equally knock your socks off)?
Oh yes you do…even if you’re not vegan! Check out my I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe. It’s so good, I can never decide which one to make…this one or that one!
If you want more vegetarian skillet recipes for busy weeknights, head on over to my 30-Minute Vegetarian Skillet Enchiladas and my Mushroom Sesame Quinoa With Scallions. Both are quickly becoming popular one-pan recipes that keep meatless Monday meals anything but boring.
Ingredients you will need for Lightened Up Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff:
- olive oil
- shallot (or onion)
- flour (I use garbanzo/chickpea flour)
- white wine (or dry sherry)
- 1% milk
- vegetable broth (I use this vegetable base)
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools I use for this recipe:
- 3.5 qt saucepan (boil pasta)
- stainless colander (drain pasta)
- chef knife
- cutting board
- Microplane fine grater (grate garlic)
- 12-inch nonstick skillet (make sauce)
- stainless whisk (stir sauce)
This recipe was originally published on Amanda’s Cookin’ in September, 2016.
* Note: This post has affiliate links which means I receive a small, referral commission at no extra cost to you.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Garlicky Oven Roasted Mushrooms - 05/22/2017
- Icebox Chocolate Eclair Cake: Easy No Bake Dessert - 05/20/2017
- Strawberry Spring Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette - 05/07/2017