Guys, there is no other name on this earth for I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Cream of Mushroom Soup. Because I really can’t believe it! This recipe is so creamy, tasty, and easy to make, you’ll fool dairy-lovers, and yourself, with it. Oh, it’s gluten-free too. It’s the perfect base for everyone’s favorite holiday casserole…and soup season!
I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Cream of Mushroom Soup
This recipe is dedicated to my mom, who assisted this photo shoot last week and served as my #1 taste-tester. What a blast to have her here at The Kitchen Girl headquarters! Wish we lived closer to each other (sigh).
Ok, so I’ve made variations of homemade cream of mushroom soup for many years. For this post, I wanted my you, my people, to have a bona fide, truly low-sodium, alternative to canned, cream of mushroom soup. I mean…everyone should have this recipe. It’s such a major player in cream of anything soup, baked casseroles, and Alfredo sauce pastas.
And it’s perfect for soup season!
What I LOVE about this recipe:
- uses unsweetened almond milk in place of heavy cream
- uses NO coconut milk
- uses NO expensive ingredient substitutes (like vegan sour cream)
- uses NO potatoes
- uses chickpea flour instead of all-purpose flour
- uses mostly everyday pantry ingredients
- tastes rich, creamy, and savory…without the guilt
Here are my Cliff’s notes of recipe instructions (ok, not officially Cliff’s, but my own version):
- sauté veggies
- add flour
- add liquid
- bring to boil…then simmer
- stir as needed until thick
Of course the real recipe instructions are detailed below, but that’s the short of it! I know it sounds crazy simple…and it really is.
Do you Mise En Place?
Mise en place is French for “everything in its place” before cooking. Tell me, do you assemble all of your ingredients together before cooking? If not, try it sometime, and watch your cooking enjoyment level increase. Great way to avert disasters too!
Ingredients you’ll need for Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- olive oil
- dry sherry
- chickpea (garbanzo flour)
- unsweetened almond milk
- vegetable broth (reduced sodium)
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools I use for this recipe:
- chef knife
- cutting board
- 3.5 qt skillet or sauce pot
- Microplane fine grater (for nutmeg)
- stainless whisk
- pint and a half glass storage jar
- wide-mouth plastic lids for glass storage jars
Looking for other vegan recipes that go the distance when you’re in a hurry? Check out my 15-minute In A Hurry Kale Chickpea Soup. I don’t think my soup recipes get any easier than this one. And if you need a cold-comfort soup, here’s my Feel Better Pho. It’s a quick, Asian-inpsired, vegan soup with noodles, veggies, broth and traditional toppings.
Planning your holiday feast?
Be sure to check out I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Green Bean Casserole! It’s the big sister to I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Garlicky Oven Roasted Mushrooms - 05/22/2017
- Icebox Chocolate Eclair Cake: Easy No Bake Dessert - 05/20/2017
- Strawberry Spring Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette - 05/07/2017