What’s the best meat alternative that isn’t packaged or processed? Here at The Kitchen Girl HQ, it’s portobello mushrooms, hands down! Our favorite way to prepare them is Marinated Grilled Portobello Mushroom Mini Steaks. It’s a delicious, meatless mouthful that rocks the flavor!
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Mini Steaks
Here’s what we LOVE about this recipe:
- It’s vegetarian…actually, it’s vegan and gluten-free.
- The marinade uses mostly white wine and water for the liquid, so it uses less oil…bonus!
- The marinating process takes only 30 minutes, not the typical two hours required for animal proteins. (note: but you can marinate up to 8 hours if you like)
- Grilling the mushrooms takes under 15 minutes…and they’re so. dang. delicious!
- You can eat these mushroom steaks warm or cold. Trust me, they rock either way.
- Grilled Portobello mushrooms are a super-easy weekly prep item and are perfect for your Meatless Monday meal.
Here’s how we like to eat the mushroom steaks…and yum! to each of them:
- With our fingers…can’t help it!
- Stuffed inside sandwich wraps with other vegetables.
- In place of traditional ground beef hamburger meat.
- As a key ingredient inside Asian Spring Rolls
- Served as an entrée over polenta, or brown rice, or whole-grain pasta, or quinoa, and topped with your favorite sauce.
You’ll notice I’m using a grill basket for this recipe. We love our Weber Grill Basket because it prevents the veggies from falling through the grill. You can live without it, but it’s a really convenient tool.
We make this recipe twice a month because we love Portobello mushrooms, grilling, and eating vegetarian as often as possible. So, I hope you’ll jump on board with this idea and make your Meatless Mondays even easier.
Cheers to Meatless Mondays and always to our health!
About my recipes: MORE plant, LESS animal...that's my jam.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Crabless Cakes: Zucchini Quinoa Mini Fritters - 03/06/2017
- Bananas Foster Mini Skillet Flambé - 02/24/2017
- Mint Leaf Shamrock Shake: Natural Green Food Color - 02/15/2017