Eat The Rainbow Kale Beet Power Salad is your everything salad and so much more! If you like a thirst-quenching, beautifully textured, fill-you-up, crazy-nutritious, raw meal in a bowl, this is your one-stop recipe for all the above! Oh, and it’s gluten-free AND vegan!
Eat The Rainbow Kale Beet Power Salad
In the past month, we’ve hosted three sets of college pals here at TKG HQ. This meant hosting meals, and (secretly) turning my friends into my ‘test’ subjects for new recipes. The Kale Beet Power Salad was one of them…and was a smash hit!
I should mention that prior to hosting our visitors, we had acquired the OXO spiralizer and discovered the absolute awesomeness of eating spiralized, raw things…like beets…and zucchini. This recipe may have single-handedly convinced my three gal pals to become proud owners of that sweet gadget.
“This is the best salad I have ever eaten!”…exclaimed my long-time, vegetarian pal during dinner. Now, I knew this salad could turn out well, but I was feeling super-boss after that comment.
It didn’t hurt that half of the salad came straight from our yard (beets, kale, pomegranate, arugula)…thanks to my other half, Jeff (aka the garden god).
Ok, let’s check out this flavor and texture profile we have going here. We have bitter kale, peppery arugula, sweet grapes and oranges, pomegranate seeds, savory pumpkin seeds, spiralized raw beets…and it’s all tossed in our favorite, homemade Bragg Raw Apple Cider vinaigrette. Boom! Bam!
How far in advance can this salad be made?
If you’re like me and you like to knock out meal tasks well before your guests arrive, you can prepare this salad a day ahead, but only as separate components (for optimal freshness). Here’s how I approach the recipe:
- make the vinaigrette and chill it in an airtight container
- chop, rinse, and air-dry the greens for a few hours; store them together in a sealed, plastic bag in fridge with a paper towel in the bag to absorb more moisture
- spiralize the beets and chill in an airtight container
- split the grapes and chop the orange; chill in airtight containers
- Toast the pumpkin seeds (in a skillet, no oil, medium flame, constantly moving until toasted) cool and store in airtight container at room temperature
Just before serving, toss all ingredients together with dressing in a bowl. That’s it! Sounds like a bunch of steps, but everything takes about 20 minutes total…and even less if you purchase packaged, prepared, kale and arugula.
Looking for a few more nutrition-packed salads? Here’s a Broccoli Bacon Grape Blue Cheese Salad that is the ultimate sweet and savory dish. Or grab another leafy, fruity, sweet and savory salad with my Brussels Sprout Slaw.
Ingredients you’ll need to make Eat The Rainbow Kale Beet Power Salad:
For the salad:
- curly kale
- raw beet
- pumpkin seeds
For the vinaigrette:
- Bragg Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Tools I used for this recipe:
- OXO Spiralizer
- chef knife
- cutting board
- salad hands
- large and small mixing bowls
- stainless steel colander
- air-tight storage containers
About my recipes: MORE plant, LESS animal...that's my jam.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Crabless Cakes: Zucchini Quinoa Mini Fritters - 03/06/2017
- Bananas Foster Mini Skillet Flambé - 02/24/2017
- Mint Leaf Shamrock Shake: Natural Green Food Color - 02/15/2017