I love, love, love eggs AND traditional egg salad. Sometimes, I don’t want eggs, but I want something that satisfies my craving for their flavor and texture. Some years ago, I discovered I could do this with a can of chickpeas. This was the beginning of my love affair with Chickpea Smash: Eggless Egg Salad. Now, it’s a staple in my food rotation.
Chickpea Smash: Eggless Egg Salad
Ok, so why would I ever want to substitute the eggs in egg salad? It’s always one of these very reasons:
- Forgot to hard-boil eggs (but want egg salad…now)
- No time to hard-boil eggs (but want egg salad…now)
- Don’t feel like eating hard-boiled eggs (but want egg salad…now)
- Eggs are becoming pricey (esp in California)
While we’re on the subject of timing, this recipe comes together in 5-minutes, making it the fastest protein salad recipe I have in my repertoire.
So, why are canned chickpeas such a great alternative to eggs?
- Good source of protein and fiber
- Ready to eat…and delicious!
- Ridiculously affordable
- Perfect texture
- Easy to mash, mix, and eat
When I first started making this recipe, I used traditional mayo. I still love mayo. But, I don’t love the fat and calories, so I often use Wildwood Garlic Aioli because it’s as tasty as mayo…and it’s dairy-free, which I dig!
My favorite ways to eat this Chickpea Smash:
- As an egg salad sandwich
- As a spread on crackers or toast
- Right off the fork
- Rolled into a lavash or sandwich wrap
- Pretty much any way you’d eat egg salad
If you’re into the Eggless Egg Salad idea but want to “green it up”, check out my Chickpea Avocado Smash: Not For The Vegan Only. Avocados and sweet peas take this salad to a new level!
Cheers to 5-minute health food…and always to our health!
About my recipes: MORE plant, LESS animal...that's my jam.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Crabless Cakes: Zucchini Quinoa Mini Fritters - 03/06/2017
- Bananas Foster Mini Skillet Flambé - 02/24/2017
- Mint Leaf Shamrock Shake: Natural Green Food Color - 02/15/2017