Who says you have to blow your whole diet over a holiday dinner? Save that for the appetizers and dessert! Here’s a creamy, dreamy, diet-friendly side dish you can assemble a few days in advance and baked right before the throw down goes down. It will literally have you saying I Can’t Believe Its’ Vegan! Green Bean Casserole.
I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Green Bean Casserole
This recipe is dedicated to my mom, who assisted my long, drawn out photo shoot last week and taste-tested my recipes to dial in the ingredients. So much fun to have you, Mom! My kitchen and I…we miss you.
Last week, I published my recipe for I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Cream of Mushroom Soup.
It’s the creamy, delicious, predecessor (and major player) to this vegan green bean casserole. What I love about both recipes is that we’re replacing the ingredients-with-a-bad-rap with some healthy options that will appeal to ANY eater, vegan or not.
Btw, if you can make my vegan cream of mushroom soup…and you totally can!…then your halfway to this casserole.
How is TKG’s vegan casserole different from traditional casserole?
- Instead of using the standard, canned Cream of Mushroom Soup, you’re making it from scratch using my easy recipe! Trust me, it really is easy, and sooooo worth the extra effort beyond opening up a can. Your guests will taste the quality!
- Instead of using French fried onions for the topping, we’ll caramelized onions and sneak them in under the Panko bread crumbs. A nice surprise! The onions make it sweet and savory while the Panko offers a perfect, light, crispy topping.
My goal with these tricks is to cut unnecessary sodium, oil, heavy cream, and msg without compromising flavor and texture. Done and done…just you wait and see! You can brag to your guests after they’ve gobbled it down!
The steps to get ‘er done:
#1: Caramelize an onion (*This takes at least 30 minutes, which accounts for most of the time involved in the recipe prep) You could skip this step, but you might miss those caramelized onions.
While that’s happening…
#2: Steam green beans and grab your pre-made vegan cream of mushroom soup. If you didn’t pre-make the mushroom soup, it is possible to do so while the onions are caramelizing, as long as you have all of your ingredients in place.
#3 Assemble the casserole (onions, green beans, sauce, more onions, Panko, almonds)
*Note: you can assemble casserole a day or two in advance and bake when ready (don’t sprinkle Panko and almonds until ready to bake)
If you want to have smooth sailing when you make this casserole, or any recipe, always set up your ingredients (mise en place) before cooking. This means measure, chop, slice, etc, before you even turn on the stove burner. Trust me, your cooking experience will be less stressful and more enjoyable.
Ingredients you’ll need for I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Green Bean Casserole:
- olive oil
- green beans
- I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Panko bread crumbs
- sliced almonds
Kitchen tools I use for this recipe:
- chef knife (chop veggies)
- cutting board (chop veggies)
- Nonstick skillet (sauté onions)
- 3.5 quart stainless sauce pot (steam beans and make sauce)
- Stainless steamer basket (steam beans)
- Canola Oil Cooking Spray (spray casserole dish)
- 2 qt casserole dish 10.5 x 7 (bake casserole)
- Aluminum Foil (to cover dish)
Round out your holiday spread with these other healthy recipes:
Serve No Cook Cranberry Pomegranate Relish condiment over warm, brie cheese as a pre-dinner snack. And for your main, holiday feast, offer Arugula Sweet Potato Salad or Brussels Sprout Slaw. Either salad with make a perfect, healthy side dish that bursts with holiday flavors!
And if you wanna be only a little healthy and totally not vegan, check out my Half-Healthy Butternut Squash Baked Mac and Cheese as a contender for your holiday table. It’s creamy, dreamy comfort food…almost too good to be true!
About my recipes: MORE plant, LESS animal...that's my jam.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Crabless Cakes: Zucchini Quinoa Mini Fritters - 03/06/2017
- Bananas Foster Mini Skillet Flambé - 02/24/2017
- Mint Leaf Shamrock Shake: Natural Green Food Color - 02/15/2017